For this assignment, we are going to research possible interventions that could have been implemented to change the course of Pecola Breedlove and her family’s journey in The Bluest Eye. Each group will examine sources and make recommendations for a plan of action to remedy Pecola’s situation.
Groups will each focus on one specific area of intervention: Psychological, Economic, Educational, and Media.
You will create a slide presentation that identifies core problems Pecola and her family face (with examples from the text) followed by 2-3 possible interventions. You should explain how each intervention will help and what issue it will address. Include information from your outside sources to validate your plan of action.
Below are some links to various sites that may help you find information to help. Please feel free to use any of the resources or find others on your own.
- Physiological & Psychological Impact of Racism and Discrimination for African-Americans
- Coping with Racial Trauma
- The Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent Health
- Structural racism is taking a toll on children’s mental health
- The Far-Reaching Impacts of Racism and Bias
- The Economic Cost Of Racism
- Systematic Inequality and Economic Opportunity
- U.S. minority students concentrated in high-poverty schools: study
- Burning ‘Brown’ to the Ground
- Inequality at School: What’s Behind The Racial Disparity In Our Educational System?